Finally, I can call myself an American without feeling like a fraud. Sheesh. The delay in fully realizing my national consciousness/awareness was Mom's fault -- completely. And, while she claims her half-Polishness is partially to blame, that's wrong. I know for a fact that my uncles were never as delayed as I was in becoming a true, honest-to-goodness, red-blooded, patriotism-breathing "American." So, that means my grandmother did her part, even though she was full-Polish. You're wondering how the heck Mom completely messed up the first six months of my second year as a so-called American. Well, she failed to introduce me to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches until just now. Do you know how old I am? I'm nineteen months, and I was nineteen months and one day before I ever had a real mcoyster PBJ sandwich. Ok, to give Mom credit, I have had peanut butter, apple pie, cheetohs, chicken-fried steak, okra, mashed potatoes, and ...
Hey, if anyone gives you flack about that sort of thing, i.e. nodding off, tell them you get it from your your uncle...the one in California...in the blue suit.
ReplyDelete