Finally, I can call myself an American without feeling like a fraud. Sheesh. The delay in fully realizing my national consciousness/awareness was Mom's fault -- completely. And, while she claims her half-Polishness is partially to blame, that's wrong. I know for a fact that my uncles were never as delayed as I was in becoming a true, honest-to-goodness, red-blooded, patriotism-breathing "American." So, that means my grandmother did her part, even though she was full-Polish. You're wondering how the heck Mom completely messed up the first six months of my second year as a so-called American. Well, she failed to introduce me to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches until just now. Do you know how old I am? I'm nineteen months, and I was nineteen months and one day before I ever had a real mcoyster PBJ sandwich. Ok, to give Mom credit, I have had peanut butter, apple pie, cheetohs, chicken-fried steak, okra, mashed potatoes, and ...
Jack, you are one handsome kid! Locke looks like a great playmate!
ReplyDelete